Thursday, July 26, 2007

We've Only Just Begun...

Hello, hello! Well, I was SO tired yesterday that getting Orianna's post done was an accomplishment in itself! So, now that I'm well rested, here' s a little about our first day together!



I got up at ugh, four, to go to the airport to pick up baby Orianna. Her flight wasn't scheduled to be in until 7:21, but alas, Kekah's was early getting in, so I figured I'd better be there. Well, Orianna's flight was actually late getting in, and they didn't actually get her off of the plane until about 8:30!!! Poor thing, she was a mess and half, so we trotted back to the "animal room" at air cargo for a quick bath with the hose, which unfortunately was cold water and so I had to make the bath just enough to get the-um-"undesirable material" off! Then we headed back to Macon.

Once we got home, the day was pretty good...my first impressions of Orianna are that she is a very confident puppy--more confident than either Rogue or Kekah were at her age. She is independent, but not assertive (I know assertive, I did raise Rogue after all!). I have only had her a day and half so far, but I already can tell she responds to correction really well- I can give her one correction and she's done with whatever she was doing, which usually involves something she has decided to chew on! (Rogue, for example, kept coming back for more until about the 20th correction, when maybe he'd get it, lol!) She is quiet in crate for the most part...she has whined a bit, but not a lot. Kathy K, SER's old puppy program manager had taught me the trick of tying a string around the crate door and when puppy barks to rattle the crate just a tad, and this seemed to do the trick for Orianna. Like I said, one correction and she seems to get it...what a great little girl!
Kekah and she also seem to get along very well and play nicely together. I was a bit concerned until I saw them together since Kekah, having been a runt, has in the past had a bit of trouble playing nicely with some dogs (others she does fine with), but she is great with Orianna when we let them play together. I have also put a baby gate between them some to let Orianna also play by herself with us, also.


As for eating, I was a little worried since Orianna had only eaten a handful of food altogether yesterday...not even a whole cup! My other pups have been voracious eaters, so this was different. However, this morning I mixed the Eukanuba with some Iams (the PPM and I decided to switch her food since she hasn't seemed to eat the Eukanuba well even with her BC) and she ate it right up, almost the whole cup, so I was pleased with that.




I can tell her BC has worked some with her on sit (thanks, Martha!) because she will always sit and look up at me if she wants to be picked up, like she doesn't expect to be picked up if she hasn't been sitting, which is great. She has only had one accident in house which was last night, but her tummy was upset so I think it was nerves from a rough day yesterday! She also seems to walk on the leash well, which is nice since I've seen other raisers have pups that did the "dead dog" on the leash, lol!
All in all, she seems happy, playful, and bright. I am really enjoying her so far. I am planning to work some on her name today...we did it a bit last night with her dinner, so this will be our second little training session as I'm trying to let her ease into her new home a bit. I'm hoping to get a picture in her baby cape today, so hopefully I'll get that up pretty soon! What a great little dog :-)

1 comment:

Kimberly and Rufus said...

Love the last picture, with her paws crossed. Cute :-)